Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hey mom! How are you? Thanks for sending a package! I haven't got it yet- but we haven't gone to the mission office yet. So hopefully i'll have it in the next few hours! :) Glad to hear things are going so well. That's really neat about Daniel and Nancy. I'm excited for him, he'll love that. They have a lot of talent as a family for such things. Also thank you for sharing those quotes. I agree that is the hardest thing- to accept when people are not interested. What's been hardest for me as of late, is keeping faith that people can change and come to Christ when no one
else believes it. But it's good for me, teaching me to strengthen my faith against all odds! It's sometimes hard to decipher between what I want to happen by faith and what God wants to happen by faith. But I know if I can align my will with his then I will be able to opperate under greater faith. I really appreciated President Monson's quote about the upward reach. It touched my heart :)
 
I had some really good experiences at the VC this week and we are finding more people to teach. We're working with two part-member families right now. One of them will be baptized, it's just a matter of time and helping him line up all his ducks- doctrinally. We're also teaching a young man (17) who is excited about God and the gospel. We have some high hopes for him as well.
 
One of the couples who came through the VC, I really connected with. We had a special tour and the spirit was strong- we also were able to laugh together alot. At the end of the tour the man said, "I probably knew you in the pre-mortal life... but I bet you're older than me." Hahah. They were so fun. They gave me a referral to call (one of his co-workers), and I called him the next day and had a really nice chat with him. I was able to explain to him that faith is a hope or belief in something true, coupled with an action. I told him that "we receive no witness until after the trial of our faith." That is why John teaches us, "if any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine." I told him that taking the missionary discussions doesn't mean he has to be baptized, but that it shows God faith- a willingness to believe God will reveal what is right to him, and an action based upon that hope (taking the discussions). I told him if he will do that, God will reveal to him what is true. I don't know what he thought of it all, but I hope it helped him.
 
I'm learning a lot from the scriptures right now- especially why the Book of Mormon is so powerful. Nephi begins the Book of Mormon by saying, "I Nephi, will show unto you the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen because of their faith to make them mighty, even unto the power of deliverance." Moroni ends the Book of Mormon by saying, "Behold I would exhort you...that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these thigns, and ponder it in your hearts." Inbetween these two scriptures is sandwiched story after story, of people who experienced the mercy of God both temporally, and spiritually- because of their faith in him.
 
I've thought a lot about why this is so important? The first thing the angel told Alma the younger to do, was remember the mercy of God to his forefathers. Then as Alma taught the people of Zarahemla, Amonihah, and his son, some of the first commandments and questions he asks are, "have you remembered the mercy of God to the forefathers?" and to his son, "I would that ye should do as I have done, and remember the mercy of God to the forefathers."
 
Furthermore, The king Lamoni uttered his prayer to God by asking the Lord to have the same mercy on him, that he had for the Nephites.
 
The pattern is littered throughout the entire Book of Mormon. As we recognize the goodness of God, and the mercy he has given to those who have faith in his name, we will begin to desire the same mercy and goodness for our own lives. As we feel of His goodness we will crave more of it, and desire to seek after it. This desire, and craving for the love, mercy and power of God in our lives will cause us to act upon the things he has asked and to have faith in the name of His son, Jesus Christ. As we do these things our natures are changed and we come to know the Savior Jesus Christ on a personal level as we feel personally, the mercy of the Savior towards us.
 
This is one of the things the Book of Mormon can do for people. It can teach them and show them the mercy of God, his power to save and Redeem. As they read of it and see it, they will desire it for themselves, until they are willing to act in such a manner that they receive the power of the atonement in their own lives. I would encourage you to read through the Book of Mormon searching for the goodness of God, and seeking after an understanding of how to access more of it in your own life- for it will change your nature until like Lamoni, you can hardly utter a sentance without speaking of your love for God, of His goodness, and of your love for your bretheren.
 
I know that Jesus is the Christ, that he is a merciful God full of goodness and kindness. I know not only because i've seen it, but because I've felt it. I've felt the redeeming power of Christ work in my life and change my heart. I've felt forgiveness, I've seen him bless me continually, teach me by the power of the Holy Ghost, and work miracles for me on a day by day and even moment to moment basis. I know that if the children of men will come unto him they can experience the same thing. If they will not, they will be left to dwindle and perish in their own unbelief. I pray that all will choose the road of happiness, and eternal life.
 
I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
I love you!
Sister Lewis.
 
P.S. another email is following shortly with pictures... hopefully (i'm using my companions camera because I was too lazy to charge mine) I only have 10 min. left so if she's not done by then- than I won't email any. Keeping my fingers crossed :)
 
Looooooooooove Yoooooooooou! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment