Thursday, January 26, 2012

In the Field

Wow! Things have been such a whirlwind the last few days. I am officially in Missouri!! It's amazing!!! We flew in yesterday, and because of schedules being weird today is my preperation day! Next week it will be Wednesday but everyday after that it will be a Tuesday. I'll start with the beginning and let you know how things went. So, mom I know I already told you this story on the phone, but I figured I'd write it for everyone else to know. Thank you again for sending the copies of the Book of Mormon!! Like I said Sister Sibbetts family was supposed to mail us 3 copies of the Book of Mormon so that with the three you sent we would have 6 total, (2 for each of us). Tuesday night arrived and I got a mail slip saying I had a package, but Sister Sibbett still had nothing. We went to the post office to pick my package up, and were trying to figure out what to do about the other three Book of Mormons we needed. Eventually we decided that if God really wanted us to give out all of them, he would provide away. I never opened the package because we had to go straight to dinner. While I was saying the prayer over my food I asked God to help us get the other three books. Instantly a thought came into my mind and I was reminded that I had 2 copies of the Book of Mormon I had been studying from. One was the copy I mentioned in my farewell talk- where I had highlighted all the times the atonement was applied in the verse of scripture. The second copy was one where I had been highlighting all the names of the Savior in red and marking his direct words in yellow. I knew I could use those. I thanked God for reminding me and then asked that He would help us get one more copy, somehow. The spirit whispered to me that I should open the package and see what was there. After dinner we ran back to our residence to try and pack, and I opened the package first thing. There lay, not 3 copies of the Book of Mormon, but 4!! It was such a beautiful miracle!!! Thanks for listening to the spirit mom, with that extra book you sent, we officially were prepared to give out 6 Books of Mormon! I gave my first copy to a man who was living in Alaska for the last few months (awesome connection there!) and he is Lutheran. He actually lives in our mission boundries. I knew he needed to have the copy where I had highlighted all the names of Jesus Christ. I explained it to him and put my testimony in the front. After the flight Sister Sibbett and I talked with him for a while and invited him to come visit us in the visitors center. The other person I felt impressed to give a copy to, was one of the flight attendants. I was kind of nervous because I hadn't really talked to her, other than saying I wanted "water" and "peanuts" for my "plane food" Hahah. But when the spirit commands, we obey. As I wrote my testimony in front of the Book of Mormon, (the one with tons of notes about the atonement), I felt very guided in what to say and the spirit was very strong. I gave her the copy as we got off the plane. She actually lives in Utah (Draper) but is not a member of the church. I know God lives and is aware of all His children, His desire to bless them and bring them unto Him is great, and that is why we serve missions and do things that sometimes are uncomfortable. It's not about what we want, but what God wants for His children in need.
 
When we got to Missouri, we were given a 'tour' of the mission, and let me just say I have THE BEST MISSION IN THE WORLD. Haha, I feel SO BLESSED. We talked a lot about how where we are serving was the first mission of the world (Adam) and the last mission of this world, (where the Savior will reign again). It's such an amazing blessing to be sandwiched between the two and carry on the work here in 'Zion.' It's so unique to be a missionary. As we flew into Missouri, and I looked down on the state, there was such a special feeling about it. When you are set apart as a missionary, you can feel it. I don't look at this state as somewhere I "live" but a place I have been set apart for, a place I am called to labor in. This is my work, to labor amongst these people, and to show them the light of Jesus Christ. As His representative, I must act as He would act, serve as He would serve, and invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel.
 
When we toured the Liberty jail the spirit was amazing! I hope I get to serve there some day. There is a lot to learn from that center, there is so much symbolism for our lives not only in Joseph's experience there, but in the actual structure of the center. God's symbolism never ceases to amaze me. When you walk into the Visitors centers here (independence and liberty jail) you can instantly feel the peace of the spirit, it's like a warm blanket has been placed around you; but when you walk into the room the actual jail is in, it feels like you walked into the temple. It was such a remarkable thing, to notice the distinct feeling that is in that room. You can feel it as you enter in, and leave. I believe this is because of the sanctifying power the atonement wrought on Joseph Smith and the Saints through the trials experienced at that jail. This can be true for our own lives, if we allow the atonement to work in us, what once was a 'jail' or 'prison' to us, our trials, will sanctify us, and we will become holy and pure, even like unto a temple. This is only possible through the Atonement of Christ, the Lord. I hope everyone at some point has a chance to visit it.
 
The whole area is buzzing about the temple as well! The open house should begin sometime in April, and all the sister missionaries will be called in to help conduct tours of the temple. :D The actually dedication should be in May. From what the sisters have told me, it's been a huge help in missionary work. Everyone wants to come see the temple, and know what it's about! Also, we're secretly hoping President Monson will be the one to dedicate the temple, and we'll get to meet him-- how amazing would that be!! I can't wait to bring investigators through the temple and for them to feel, just for a moment, a glimpse of the eternal peace that can be theirs if they will come unto Christ through His gospel. It's such an amazing peace. I desire it for everyone. I desire for them to be able to see the Savior through me, that I might be a pure window to His love, His ways and the splendor of His Eternal realms. I pray that through the atonement this may be possible, and as people see these things, they will desire it for themselves, they will desire not just to look through the window but to be in the scene, to be a part of it. If they only knew who they really are, and their potential.
 
I haven't started working in my area yet, but this is what I know of it. Independence is a high drug spot and everyone smokes (I haven't seen it yet, but this is what I've been told!)  The area we've been assigned to is split into two classes of people. One side is full of people who are well off, and the other side is mostly struggling African Americans-- it's basically the Ghetto. I am so excited to get to work!! We already have two appointments scheduled for tonight! One with a less active family, and one with a woman who is investigating the church.
 
My companion and trainer, Sister Atkin is AMAZING!!! I am so lucky, she's so cheerful and bright. She loves the gospel and God, and she wants to give her best. I have been blessed in amazing ways throughout my whole life, and especially since I've been here. I am so grateful to our God. I know Jesus Christ is the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. I know this is His work, and He is the one who brings it about, we merely act as tools. I am grateful for His sacrifice. "I know that I am nothing, therefore I will not rejoice in myself, but in my God, for in His power I can do all things." I love Him. My heart and mind continually treasure up the sacrifice of the Savior, for it was a great sacrifice, and it was unmerrited.
 
I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God's church upon the Earth. I know the Savior reigns at it's head. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God. I know that by following His words we will be lead back to the Savior.
 
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
 
2 Nephi 33:10-11
 
"And now, my beloved brethrern, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye belive not in these words, believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the wordso f Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good. And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye-- for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I? shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these thigns, notwithstanding my weakness"

No comments:

Post a Comment