Thursday, January 5, 2012

This week I have been priviliged to see so many beautiful sacrifices by the people around me. My companions and I met Sister Young last week. She is a beautiful girl who just beams light and happiness. She is going to Germany on her mission. She told us that her family just found out her Dad has cancer. She teared up as she talked about it, but then smiled and told us she knew she was supposed to be on a mission, and so she was here to stay! She's pressing forward with faith! I've met two other Elders who were providers for the families before they left on their missions. Both expressed a worry as to the welfare of their family, but they knew that the Savior would take care of what they could not. They are pressing forward with faith. I think of Kristina who also experienced so much trial during her mission; and added to her own personal trials, her family's trials (Lori's cancer, and their house). She pressed forward with faith. I have another friend whose had so many hospital visits while she's been on her mission, due to health issues. She's experienced so much pain of body, and yet her resounding cry at the opportunity to quit and go home was, "I am here. I am going to stay here until I die or get released... which ever comes first ;) haha"
 
I have heard stories of missionaries in foreign countries who came to the MTC with one shirt, one pair of pants and one pair of shoes. I have heard of an Elder who had NO SHOES save the pair a ward member sewed together for him out of leaves and sticks. I have heard of Sisters and Elders who have been disowned by their families to come here and serve for the cause of Christ, teaching others of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, so that they might come unto Him through faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
 
Why? Why would so many be willing to sacrifice so much to preach the gospel? BECAUSE IT IS TRUE! The answer is clear, their will is strong and they will not be persuaded, delayed or stopped short in their commitment to Christ and proclaiming His name and His truth. The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the church of Jesus Christ. This is His gospel, and it was restored to the Earth through the prophet Joseph Smith. I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. I know that He was called by God, and that throught he power of God he translated the Book of Mormon, which I know to be a true book. The truth of it sings out resolutely and clearly through my heart. It is a truth I cannot, and will not ever be able to deny. I plead daily with my Father and Heaven that through the Savior my heart will be purified that I might be an instrument in bringing souls unto Him. In showing them the truth. I wish I could explain to you the ferver that fills my heart, and the desire that encompases my entire being for them to know the truth, for the truth shall set them free.
 
I know it is this same desire that causes these missionarise of which I have spoken to serve despite tremendous personal sacrifice. It is because they know the truth. They are committed to their Savior and they will serve Him at all costs.
 
When Elder Bednar came on Christmas he spoke of the character of Christ. He said that because Christ is holy, and pure, because he has none of the natural man in Him, He was able to turn outward in every situation that we would turn inward. Everytime the natural man in us cries to look inward, to serve ourselves, to think about what we want instead about what others need, the Savior contrastingly would have looked outward. He would have denied Himself, and served others purely! This is what we must do! This is what it means to take up our cross and follow Christ, it is to deny ourselves and seek for the Eternal welfare of others. This is the path that the missionaries of Jesus Christ are embarking upon. After all, we bear His name, we must do as He did.
 
It is a glorious path, a path which brings great joy, and great sorrow; but we wouldn't have it any other way. For we know  who we are, and we know what we must do. We have been called of the Lord to proclaim His gospel before he comes, and so we labor unceasingly to do so.
 
I love you all! I leave you my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment