Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sorry everyone for not keeping up with the blog summer has kept me preoccupied, but I am now finally getting to it.

Well things here are going well. We've had some really cool miracles. There was a referral I received at the V.C. a while ago for a woman named Pearl. I told you about her a while back. She was the one I called and connected with so well. I knew exactly what to say in order to connect with her. I even found myself saying to her the first time we talked, "Well Pearl... you practically are mormon... you just need to be baptized!" She laughed and laughed at that. Well I've stayed in contact with her because she hasn't been willing to meet with missionaries yet. We've become good friends. I was thinking about her the other day and I felt impressed to be very open and frank with her. So I called her and said, "Pearl I don't have a lot of time, but I want you to meet with missionaries. So I called your nephew and he said you could meet with missionaries at his house. Will you meet with them?" She kind of avoided the question so I thought... alright fine, I'll just teach her the first lesson. I taught it and we had a good conversation, but she wasn't getting the idea that only this church was the right one. (I've come to find out that's a real problem for people out here. A lot of people think that Joseph Smith did see God and Jesus Christ, they believe the Book of Mormon is from God, but that it still doesn't matter what church you go to.) So after a while I finally said, "Pearl is it alright if I'm blunt with you?" she said, "yes, of course" (I knew it would be- she reminds me of Lucy Mack Smith) So I said something to the affect of, "Pearl, what I'm saying is that none of the other churches are right. They all teach about God, and that's good- but they are not the Saviors church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church on the earth, and it's the only one you can be baptized into and receive salvation." She paused and said..."okay... I don't believe that... but I respect it." I then asked her, "Pearl, what if it was true? How would that affect you?" Her response, "Well I guess I'd have to believe it." I said "yes, and what would that change?" She said, "well everything I suppose." I laughed and said "Yes it would. Pearl, will you read the Book of Mormon and pray to your Father in Heaven to know if what I told you is true?" She said, "of course I will!" Then I said, "And Pearl, when you receive the answer that it's true, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the preisthood authority of God?" She said that if God told her it was true she would be baptized. :D Then she said, "And I know God will answer me, because he's always been very frank with me." At this point I'm just grinning from ear to ear, because as I mentioned before, just a while earlier the Lord had told me I needed to be "frank" with Pearl. The Lord has such a great sense of humor, and he truly knows how to help all his children perfectly.
 
Well yesterday I called her again to see how it was going. She's started to read the Book of Mormon. I started teaching her the plan of salvation. We talked for a bit and I found out that she only lives 30 minutes from the Lyon's cabin in Sandpoint- and she loves to fish. I told her after my mission I'll come visit and take her fishing (she's 75). She laughed and laughed and said alright sounds good to me. I really feel that I was supposed to meet and teach her.
 
Well I'm out of time, but things are going really well. I love you all so much and I hope you have a wonderful day!
 
Scripture for the day:
18 But, behold, the righteous, the saints of the Holy One of Israel, they who have believed in the Holy One of Israel, they who have endured the crosses of the world, and despised the shame of it, they shall inherit the kingdom of God, which was prepared for them from the foundation of the world, and their joy shall be full forever.
 
28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish. 
39 O, my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness in transgressing against that Holy God, and also the awfulness of yielding to the enticings of that cunning one. Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal.
 40 O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken.
 41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.
45 O, my beloved brethren, turn away from your sins; shake off the chains of him that would bind you fast; come unto that God who is the rock of your salvation.
 46 Prepare your souls for that glorious day when justice shall be administered unto the righteous, even the day of judgment, that ye may not shrink with awful fear... 
52 Behold, my beloved brethren, remember the words of your God; pray unto him continually by day, and give thanks unto his holy name by night. Let your hearts rejoice.
My soul is learning to delight in plainess. The ways of the Lord are plain, giving all men a fair and equal chance.
Sister Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment