Sunday, October 7, 2012

Well the work is going well here. Even though people choose not to progress or accept our message, I see the Lords hand in the work every day. He tells us what to say, gives us the power to discern thoughts and needs, and when we are worthy allows us to speak with power and authority from on High. I'm seeing Him extend beautiful gifts to us as missionaries and work miracles constantly- I know that in these miracles my role is to remain humble and charitable- otherwise the gifts HE GIVES me become as 'tinkling brass' and are of no worth. The reason He gives them to us is for the benefit and Salvation of His children. We must love them as He does, and use them for this purpose.

It's hard to see people's needs met so perfectly and beautifully by our Savior, and watch them reject His extended arm. I read some scriptures the other day that truly penetrated my heart, and I felt my heart pour out the same questions spoken by the prophets. The first was in Helaman when Nephi is teaching the people. They reject Him as a prophet but claim they would've followed the prophets in days of old. He says, "And now when ye talk, ye say: If our days had been in the days of our fathers of old, we would not have slain the prophets; we would not have stoned them, and cast them out. Behold ye are worse than they; for as the Lord liveth, if a prophet come among you and declareth unto you the word of the Lord, which testifieth of your sins and iniquities, ye are angry with him, and cast him out and seek all manner of ways to destroy him; yea you will say the he is a  false prophet..." I feel like I experience this daily. Children of our Father in Heaven say, if Moses was on the Earth we would follow him, if Noah warned us of the flood we would hearken. Yet what was the role of these prophets? To point God's children to Christ! That's why the Lord gives a prophet to lead us and guide us back to our Savior. Today, there is a prophet on the Earth. God is the same yesterday today and forever! He changes not, and if you imagine a God in whom there is variableness or a shadow of changing you have imagined up unto yourself a God who is not a God of miracles. He does work among the children of men as He did in days of old. It is through a prophet who points us to Christ. Sometimes I wish I could gather every one around us and cry out these words of Jacob:

"Behold, will ye reject these words? will ye reject the words of the prophets; and will ye reject all the words which have been spoken concerning Christ, after so many have spoken concerning him; and deny the good word of Christ, and the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost, and quench the Holy spirit and make a mock of the great plan of redemption, which hath been laid for you?"

Truth has been restored. There is a prophet, and I often wonder in my heart, why deny the workings of the Lord? Why reject His counsel and His ways? Why, when this perfect being seeks only to bless you and bestow upon you the truth unto salvation, will ye deny it and seek after your own way?

I love the truth. It sets us free. I will seek the truth all the days of my life, and not from the wisdom of men, but from a God who does not change. From a God who loves and cares about my soul and whom I trust to deliver to me truth in its purity. We ask men to pray about our message, we invite them to obtain the truth from God himself, and not from us... and still they deny us. Still they say, "I will not pray about this message... but if I had lived in the days of Moses.... I would pray then." How can they say this, how can they say their character would be different? What would change? We don't even ask them to trust us, but to seek after the truth from the Lord with all energy of heart, and surely if they would humble themselves before him and do this, He would answer in His time and way! Yet still... we are rejected, and therefore He is rejected. As the prophets were in days of old.

I was reading in 4th Nephi after the coming of the Savior, and how the people began to build up many different churches. The scriptures teach they did not 'dwindle in unbelief, but they did willfully rebel against the gospel of Christ." This is what we see today, many churches, being built up day by day, teaching different doctrines and changing the ordinances of Christ. They teach for doctrines of men. It is hard to see, when I know the Saviors fullness is here... that these children of God could have a fullness of His gospel, even the same church that was on the Earth when He was on the Earth. They could have all of His peace- not just a part. They could know for themselves, and obtain from God that knowledge which man cannot reveal, if they would simply read, and pray about the Book of Mormon with sincerity of heart and real intent.

I know this is His work and I really do see His miracles occur all the day long, just as in days of old. Prisoners are set free :), hearts are changed, our needs are provided for as if manna came from Heaven, all at the hand and kindness of our God.

The other day we were without dinner and very hungry. We prayed the Lord would provide. We knocked on a door and someone invited us in for dinner. That's never happened to me before. Then again, I've never prayed for it before. :)

This is the Lords work. I know He loves His children, and all the glory is always to Him.
In the name of Jesus Christ,
Amen.
Love you all,
Sister Lewis

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment