Sunday, January 20, 2013

December 16th
Hi! Merry Christmas!!

Glad to hear Kristina's back at home and things are going well for everyone. I got the Lopez's card/gift as well as the Andrews. They are so kind. Tell them thank you for me. I'm going to try and send off thank-you's today, but it's a very packed day, and  I'm not sure I'll get to everyone- so they might get late Christmas cards. Tell everyone I send my love. I can't believe Barnes gets his mission call this week! What an awesome Christmas present. I'm so excited to hear about it. I assume wed is probably when he'll get it. So I guess probably as fast as I'll hear is Monday at email, since letters usually take 4 days. Bah. So excited.

Things here are going well. Our investigators are doing wonderful. One family we've been teaching had a little bit of a scare, the wife ended up in the hospital for a few days. The Lord, however, worked through that experience, and used it to soften hearts. Sister Crick and I felt like He would. By the end of it the husband said he was ready to be baptized, and wanted to be sealed together forever! They are a wonderful family and we love them so much. They have 3 boys- and they're hilarious. Also another woman we've been working with decided to get baptized on her birthday. It was amazing to see the spirit work with her. She's been holding off baptism because she feels like she needs to be perfect before she's baptized. We try to help her see she's already doing really well, and more ready than she thinks she is. We were visiting her Wed. and she was teaching her 7 year old son about why Christ was baptized and before we knew it mid-sentence she turned to us and said, "we're supposed to follow the example of Christ, and how can I teach my son to follow that example if I don't follow it and get baptized? That's it. I'm getting baptized. On my birthday- it will be the start of a new life." It was a miracle the spirit produced. It's wonderful to see the spirit work with people. So much happens when we aren't there. Another woman we're teaching was talking to us the other day and told us that the Lord was really working on her heart. She said that she is learning she must be more patient, loving and forgiving. She said he was teaching her hard lessons, but she was grateful because she knew it meant he loved her. "the Lord loves whom he chastens." Another one of our investigators was talking in a meeting the other day- we had stake conference, and prior to the general session there was a meeting for investigators and recent converts. Some General Authorities were visiting. In the meeting he asked, "what do the missionaries teach you?" One of our investigators said, "how to really repent, and apply what you learn." It's been such a privilege to teach him. I see the Lord showing him how to put what the gospel into his heart.

I see Christ changing the hearts of men. I see Him changing my heart. That's what it's all about. Obeying the Lord and His ordinances so that our hearts change. They go from being hard and stony, to broken and contrite. It is when they are broken the Lord can heal them. This is why he asks us to offer a broken heart and contrite spirit, so that he can heal it. It's not always easy to bring forth a broke heart, but it is always worth it. When He heals our hearts, He makes them soft, willing, obedient, full of love, long suffering, patience, humility, brotherly kindness, meekness- He fills them with His attributes. I'm so grateful for the chance I have to break my heart before the Lord daily, so that He can heal it and make it the heart it must be in order to preform His work. He loves us so much. I'm know that my weakness are many, and I'm grateful he allows me to serve as a representative of His Son. I'm so grateful I get to see the Savior change the hearts of men. What a wonderful God we have. What a beautiful season it is to praise Him, and give Him the gift of a broken heart. Or in other words, a heart sorry for sin, a heart willing to change, and a heart hopeful that we can. Christ gave us everything, holding nothing back. How wonderful it is that we can learn to do the same. Repentance is a true act of joy and hope. What a hopeful season this is. One of my favorite sayings says, "Hope is like the song bird who senses the dawn, and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark."
That we all might have this hope, and become more fully converted and devoted servants of our Savior, Jesus Christ is my prayer. I know He lives. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sister Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment