Sunday, January 20, 2013

December 31st
So things at Liberty Jail are awesome. I love serving here, the spirit is so powerful. It's a different atmosphere than almost any other place. It's as close to the feeling of a temple as I've ever been. Not quite the same- but close. I just like to sit in the rotunda (where the jail is) and think. The whole building is so symbolic and the Lord is teaching me a lot about why the prophet was held here, what lessons were learned, and how it relates to our mortal experience. When the prophet was held in jail he could not see beyond the four walls that held him. The only way he could reach beyond his circumstance was through revelation. When the windows of heaven opened and the Lord spoke he could reach beyond his walls and see things from a higher plane. I know this is true of our own lives. We are divine beings having a mortal experience. We must reach beyond our walls and see things from a different plane. We can do that through revelation from the most High God, who see's and knows all things. He will help lift our thoughts and broaden our understanding. We must, like Elder Eyring taught, however, be willing to remove "the pavillions" that cover God from us. We must humble our hearts in the depths of humility, setting them upon God and not the things of this world. We must exercise faith and trust in God at all times. We must let virtue garnish our thoughts unceasingly. We must allow our bowels to be filled with charity. And we must cheerfully do all things within our power. Then we may "stand still, with the utmost assurance to see the Salvation of God, and for His arm to be revealed." These are just a few lessons from Liberty jail. Lessons intended to build a Zion like people. (D&C 101:1-5).

Things in our area are going great as well. We had several people come to church yesterday. When the meeting started only one person was there. My heart sank, but then just as we were singing the song, several more showed up. It filled my heart with so much excitement!!! We're working with a young family right now who is just wonderful! I love teaching the gospel and watching the spirit help people grasp the Eternal principles of their Father in Heaven. How great is my joy- as the Lord promised it would be! :) He always fulfills his promises. I'm so excited for Barnes to experience it. I'm also so excited for Kerrick and the faith he's exercising. I don't know him but you can tell him I say hi and he and his family are in my prayers as well. How great it is to be in the service of our kind God.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sister Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment